Agile Project Management
Agile Management applies the principles of Agile software development. The Agile Management core values derives from the Agile Manifesto that was created by software developers. The 4 Core Value of Agile Management:
- Individuals and interactions over processes and tools.
- Working software over comprehensive documentation.
- Customer collaboration over contract negotiation.
- Responding to change over following a plan.
Today, Agile Project Management is used beyond software development and some of the benefits include:
- Adaptability and less risk
- Greater Customer Satisfactions
- More emphasis on team collaboration and communication
Agile Management Phases
In traditional Project Management (Waterfall) the project follows linear stages and is based on upfront planning. In Agile Development, the project follows an iterative and continuous cycle. To get an full overview of Agile vs Waterfall, see this infographic. There are several agile project management methodologies such as Scrum. To test your Scrum skills, take this free assessment test. This informative video from Henrik Kniberg also give an good introduction – Product Ownership in a nutshell.
Free templates for Agile Project Management
- The Agile Team Charter incorporate the project’s vision, goals/objectives, mission, and success criteria
- Another example is SmartSheet Excel Agile Project Charter Template
- For a compressive stakeholder analysis, see this presentation from the Agilealliance – Agile Stakeholder analysis
- Justinmind provides an example of Agile Roadmap Template
- Smartsheets has an Agile Roadmap Template
- Roadmunk offers an article related to product vision and strategy. It also includes several canvas.
- Agile PM writes about product strategy in their blog post
Project Plan and Scheduling
- For project plan, scheduling and product backlog, Smartsheet is offering several useful templates in excel and word.
Execution and monitoring
- A to-do list with Agile Sprint Backlog including Burndown Chart Template
- Agile Test Plan
- Agile Board with priority list
- Pivotaltracker for product backlog
- Agile Standup Board
- Atlassain offers an article on agile stand-up meeting